The present Chateau de Chaumont is built on two former strongholds, and the total reconstruction of the old fortress occurred around 1466, by command of Bishop Pierre d'Amboise (1408-1473).
The Castle, at Chaumont clearly follows a medieval plan, with its corner towers and drawbridge. It has thick walls that were topped by cannons. It is very beautiful and its charm is increased by the park and gardens surrounding the castle.
The interior of the chateau contains some furnished rooms but the Chateau de Chaumont is mostly visited for its International Garden Festival.